Is your carpet marred by nasty stains that refuse to go away? Are you desperately looking for a magical solution to your carpet cleaning problems? Is that weird-smelling goo you bought in Poundland not doing the business? Then read on!
The market is awash (pun intended) with carpet shampoos, each varying in price and quality. Amidst an array of options, it is easy to feel overwhelmed. That’s why we’ve put together this guide.
We’ve analysed the best carpet cleaning shampoos you can buy in Britain, and written bite-sized reviews that will help you make a buying decision.
How to Pick the Perfect Carpet Shampoo
Here are some of the things you should focus on:
Type of Carpet/Rug
Different types of carpets require different kinds of carpet shampoo. Therefore, it is important to be aware of your carpet’s type. Such knowledge involves knowing what your carpet is made up of. For example, if it comprises of natural fibre, you should choose a fluid which is suitable for that. (The product descriptions should say – we’ve highlighted some points in the reviews below.)
Spot Cleaning vs Routine Cleaning
The right carpet cleaner for you depends on how you’ll use it. For example, if you wish to get rid of a particularly stubborn stain, specially formulated (i.e. powerful) shampoos will be your safest bet.
However, if you don’t have a nasty stain and you just want to freshen up your flooring, an everyday carpet-safe cleaner will get the job done. (‘Freshen up your flooring’ – that’s a good slogan. Consider it trademarked! No bagsies!)
Even when you have narrowed down your choices based on your need and type of carpet, you will still be faced with a choice between dozens of products. Here, you can narrow down the products based on your budget. Analyze how much you are willing to spend. Once you have decided how high you’ll go, pick a product which offers the maximum quality in that range. Just remember that a small investment in regular quality cleaning can keep your carpet looking new (so you’ll save on having to replace it).
The Best Vax Carpet Shampoo
VAX Ultra Plus Carpet Cleaning Solution
Customers have lauded this product for the high-quality cleaning it provides. The RRP is fairly high but it’s often on discount, so more often than not this product proves to be a budget-friendly choice.
This product can be used effectively with all VAX carpet cleaners and can be used to clean both carpets and upholstery. The multi-functional nature of the product has made it a popular choice.
Is your carpet exhibiting an unpleasant smell? If so, you will appreciate this product’s feature of neutralizing odours and leaving behind a rose burst fragrance which is bound to give your room a fresh and pleasant aura.
Moreover, it is approved as being wool safe, which means that it can be used regardless of how delicate the carpet is. Such a feature allows this product to cater to the masses regardless of the type of carpet they have.
- Fast and high-quality cleaning
- Pleasant fragrance
- Successfully removes pet stains
- Requires a VAX cleaner to function (you can try in other machines but the amount of foam might not be right)
- For use with all Vax carpet cleaners
- Clean carpets and upholstery
- Neutralises odours
Genuine VAX AAA Carpet Cleaning Shampoo
This product has been well-received both for its low price as well as its ability to get rid of stains no matter how stubborn they are.
This product is available in a 750-ml bottle, which proves to be a convenient size. The improved formula allows this cleaning solution to effectively clean and lift all types of stains from the carpet.
Moreover, the fluid can be used on an array of carpets and rugs, including polyester, fibre, and wool (regardless of how delicate they are).
Furthermore, it features a floral infusion fragrance which is bound to leave your room smelling wonderful.
- Low price
- Does not shrink the carpet
- Effective cleaning
- The aroma is very light (might be a pro for some people!)
- VAX AAA Floral Infusion Carpet Cleaner Shampoo Solution (750ml) - New Improved Formula
- Gently cleans and lifts stains on all carpet types including delicate wool and polyester fibres.
- Carries 'Woolsafe' approval. -- Gives a fragrant 'floral infusion' scent to your household
The Best Bissell Carpet Shampoo
Bissell Wash and Refresh Carpet Shampoo
This product is another that is regularly discounted, but it’s still normally dearer than than the Genuine, VAX Ultra, and Dr. Beckmann. However, the quality of the product justifies the price.
While the bottle contains 1.5 litres, the fact that the product is highly concentrated makes the volume equivalent to 3 litres of a solution which makes it a convenient option for most people.
Moreover, the product can be used to deodorize and clean carpets as well as upholstery via its ability to penetrate fibres. This feature allows it to tackle dirt.
- Cleans stubborn stain with ease
- Pleasant fragrance
- Premium price
- 2X Concentrated - Equivalent to 3 Litres
- Deodorises and refreshes carpets and upholstery by penetrating deep into fibres to break down stubborn dirt, stains and odour
- Powerful Cleaning with a refreshing clean scent.
Best of the Rest
Rug Doctor Carpet Detergent
This doesn’t leave any of the gluey remnants you sometimes get after a carpet cleaning session, and it will work in any carpet cleaning machine. It’s probably your best bet for high-traffic areas – it really does do a good job there.
Some people hate the smell, but all detergents have a smell and it usually fades away after a short time. We found this to be one of the LEAST smelly options. We also found that carpets dried faster when using this than its rivals, but I’m not sure if that was just our imagination!
There are detailed instructions for using it on the Rug Doctor website – how many mills per litre etc.
- Very effective product, especially in high-traffic sections of carpet
- Top brand name
- Less smelly than others
- None really. It’s good!
- Rug Doctor Carpet Detergent cleans,rejuvenates, deodorises and protects your carpet.
- Clean approximately 800sq ft/75m2 (up to 4 rooms)
- Contains Spot Blok carpet shield
Dr. Beckmann Carpet Stain Remover
This product has a fairly low RRP and is a carpet shampoo which can also be used on soft furnishings and upholstery.
Each bottle is 650 ml, and it succeeds in neutralizing odours regardless of how strong they are. Such odours may include those of pets and spillages.
Moreover, the product comes with an applicator brush which allows for easy cleaning so you get a lot of flexibility for your money.
- Works on fresh and old stains alike
- Great value for price
- The smell of the solution is pretty strong
- Eliminates tough stains and odours
- Formulated to remove heavy soil and unsightly spills
- Also ideal for pet stain accidents
Mylek Ocean Fresh Carpet Shampoo
At first glance, this product looks to be the most expensive one on this list. However, the high volume of 5 litres and the concentrated nature of the solution make up for it.
Compared to other products, this cleaner is more concentrated and deeply sanitizes carpets. The shampoo leaves behind a pleasant smell.
Not only is this product suitable for all types of carpets, but it also features a unique formula which allows for the breakdown of stubborn stains effectively.
- Excellent cleaning
- Works well with an array of cleaning machines
- Foam may fill in the collection tank
- Low foaming, high concentration carpet cleaning solution - deeply neutralises and sanitises leaving your home smelling clean and fresh
- Designed and tested for use with all carpet cleaning machines and suitable for all carpets, rugs and upholstery including wool
- Tackles the most stubborn stains, powering through heavily-soiled or high traffic areas and leaves a non-sticky anti re-soiling agent which...
While all the products mentioned are some of the best carpet shampoos available on the market, for many in the UK the Genuine VAX should be the first one you try. VAX is the number 1 brand of carpet cleaners and the Floral Infusion shampoo is suitable for carpets and rugs of any type.
Other options are satisfactory too depending on which machine you have and what kind of stains/dirt you’ve managed to collect!
Choose the right carpet cleaner and bid stubborn stains goodbye.
Last update on 2018-04-20 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API